There is nothing quite like playing a game on a Gameboy color, but with so many new consoles and handheld systems, it can be hard to find the best GBC games out there.
If you are interested in playing the games rather than collecting them then you will most likely need to buy a used game, as new games are becoming more rare and thus more expensive. This can present you with even more things to consider before making a purchase.
To help you make the right choice for your needs and your preferred style of play, we have developed this buying guide. It is complete with the most important features and aspects to consider as well as which games are the most popular.
Things to Consider in Buying Gameboy Color Games
- The Seller. As the used games are more affordable and playable, you will need to either buy from another person directly or from a gaming shop. Unless you know the seller personally, we would recommend finding a reputable gaming shop or looking on a trusted online source for the best Gameboy color games. This will give you some protection and ensure the games have been tested for use.
- Age. There are games that were released at the start of the Gameboy color phenomena and ones that were released towards the end of the handheld gaming device’s reign as the most preferred system. The games that were released in the beginning, in 1998 and 1999 are not as detailed and have fewer graphic features. These games are often however the most classic and can offer endless hours of play.
- Accessories. To make games more flexible, many of them can be used in conjunction with accessories. This can include a cord to link the games so you are playing directly against another player. You should consider whether this is important to you and then add it to the specs to look for when making a choice.
Top 10 Gameboy Color Games Table
Which Are the Top Gameboy Color Games?
To answer this question, you will need to more seriously consider which aspects of the games and buying are the most important to you.
- Which Features Would You Like the Game to Have? The range of Gameboy color games is so wide and varied that you would be hard pressed to find more than a handful that have the same features. Many have a battery backup, which is great is you plan to use the games on long trips while others have countless levels of play for hours and hours of fun.
- Does the Game Need to Have Amazing Graphics? Compared to what we are used to today, Gameboy color games will not have amazing graphics. When compared to other games of the same time however, there are some that have better visual and graphic effects than others.
- How Many Hours of Play Would You Like to Get from the Game? There are games that have more levels and add-on options as well as those that have set competitions or races that can be played over and over again. If you would like to have a game that will never get old, then being able to compete and go to different levels of play is key. You should also look for a game that cannot be, “completed.”
Top 5 Best Gameboy Color Games Reviews
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe is a classic game that everyone can play. It is a game that isn’t just about hype or what was popular; it is still a good game because it has many levels to play and the option for two-system play too.
The graphics are good considering the time and there are a lot of add-ons for extending play. What makes this one of the best GBC games is the fact that it is appealing to everyone. Your objectives are clear and the rising difficulty means that everyone from young kids to older players can use this game without getting bored.
There is the possibility to beat this game but you don’t have to play in that way if you don’t want to.
The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening DX is a one-player game that can provide endless entertainment. This is a great game for kids of all ages today as well as adults looking to relive a bit of their childhood.
There are eight dungeons to explore and loads of new enemies that are different from the ones that you would recognize from other Zelda games. As this is a one-player game in which you can progress, there is battery-backed memory and the possibility to win or beat this game.
The plot and the puzzles as well as the graphics of this game make it a real pleasure for anyone to play. This is a more advanced Zelda game than the versions of the past with the same classic character and basic objectives.
Metal Gear Solid is one of the most extensive games, which also makes it one of the best Gameboy color games that you can buy. There are over 175 missions and many different ways and paths to completing them.
Add to this the variety of weapons and items that you can have and you have a game that seems endless in the new things you can explore and do. The plot of this game is also easy to follow and go along with without being too easy.
You essentially are trying to stop terrorists from attacking America. This is a game that you will love playing for short campaigns as well as on long trips.
The Legend of Zelda Oracle of Seasons is another incredible game with this classic character. This game has all of your favorite Zelda characters as well as a completely new plot to go along with.
Whether you are a fan of Zelda already or are trying it out for the first time, you are guaranteed to have fun. There are even hidden levels in this game and more things to discover as a single player.
This game is not just about having a campaign and plot to follow but there are also puzzles and tasks along the way that make it more varied and give the game depth for players of all levels.
All of the Pokémon games are incredible but the Pokémon Yellow Version is really the best of them all. This is the game in which Pikachu is present throughout the whole thing, following you around as you play.
If you are a fan of the show or are just a fan of Pokémon overall then this is a great feature of the game, having the main character with you. This is a game that allows you to go on a mission and follow a plot while battling with other Pokémon and collecting them along the way.
The pictures and graphics in this game easily make it one of the best Gameboy color games. There are also even more options for attacking and defending when you are in a battle situation. This game is classic, flexible and fun all at the same time.